TED英語演講:你爲生命的終結做好準備了嗎

來源:瑞文範文網 2.62W

當我們想到死亡的時候總是可怕的,但是提前準備是切實的,並且可以爲臨終前的安靜留下足夠的空間。在一個莊嚴並深思熟慮的演講中,Judy 分享了5個爲美好的臨終生活做計劃的方法。下面是小編爲大家收集關於TED英語演講:你爲生命的終結做好準備了嗎,歡迎借鑑參考。

TED英語演講:你爲生命的終結做好準備了嗎

演說題目:你爲生命的終結做好準備了嗎?

演說者:Judy MacDonald

What would be a good end of life?

什麼是一個生活美好的結尾?

And I'm talking about the very end.

我所說的是最終的結尾

I'm talking about dying.

我所說的是死亡

We all think a lot about how to live well.

我們都在想如何更好的生活

I'd like to talk about increasing our chances of dying well.

而我想要談的是,如何更美好地告別人生

I'm not a geriatrician.

我並不是老年病學家

I design reading programs for preschoolers.

我爲學前班的孩子設計閱讀課程

What I know about this topic

我對這個話題的瞭解

comes from a qualitative study with a sample size of two.

來源於一個定性的研究,其中有兩個案例

In the last few years, I helped two friends

在過去的幾年,我幫助兩個好朋友

have the end of life they wanted.

以他們想要的方式,結束了他們的生命

Jim and Shirley Modini spent their 68 years of marriage Jim

和 Shirley Modini度過了他們68年的婚姻生活

living off the grid on their 1,700-acre ranch

生活在遠離城鎮的,1,700英畝的牧場裏

in the mountains of Sonoma County. Sonoma

縣的山區

They kept just enough livestock to make ends meet

他們餵養了僅僅是能養活他們自己的家禽

so that the majority of their ranch would remain a refuge

所以這大部分的牧場變成了避難所

for the bears and lions and so many other things

給熊,獅子和其他的動物

that lived there.

生活在那裏

This was their dream.

這正是他們的夢想

I met Jim and Shirley in their 80s.

我在兩個老人年邁八十的時候遇見他們

They were both only children who chose not to have kids.

他們只有一個子女,而他選擇不要孩子

As we became friends, I became their trustee

當我們成爲朋友後,我變成了他們的託管人

and their medical advocate,

與他們的醫療顧問

but more importantly, I became

但是更重要的是

the person who managed their end-of-life experiences.

我成爲了幫助他們結束生活的那個人

And we learned a few things about how to have a good end.

並且我們學到了,如何有個好的結局

In their final years, Jim and Shirley

在最後的幾年裏, Jim和 Shirley

faced cancers, fractures, infections, neurological illness.

他們面對着癌症,骨折,傳染病和神經上上的疾病

It's true.

這是真的

At the end, our bodily functions

人到了最後,我們身體的功能

and independence are declining to zero.

和獨立性會降低到零

What we found is that, with a plan and the right people,

我們發現,如果有正確的計劃和人

quality of life can remain high.

他們還是可以擁有高品質的生活

The beginning of the end is triggered

結束的開始是被其他所引起的

by a mortality awareness event, and during this time,

像對死亡的意識,並且在此期間

Jim and Shirley chose ACR nature preserves Jim

和 Shirley選擇了ACR自然保護區

to take their ranch over when they were gone.

在他們去世後接手牧場

This gave them the peace of mind to move forward.

這給了他們一片祥和,然後繼續前行

It might be a diagnosis. It might be your intuition.

這可能是個診斷,也可能是你的直覺

But one day, you're going to say, "This thing is going to get me."

有一天,你會說,這樣的事情會打垮我

Jim and Shirley spent this time Jim

和Shirley用這些時間

letting friends know that their end was near

讓他們的朋友知道,離他們離開人世的時間不遠了

and that they were okay with that.

而他們對此沒有埋怨

Dying from cancer and dying from neurological illness

因爲患癌症與神經疾病而死去

are different.

是不一樣的

In both cases, last days are about quiet reassurance.

兩種情況,最後的幾天都非常安詳

Jim died first. He was conscious until the very end, Jim

先離去,到最後他都非常的清醒

but on his last day he couldn't talk.

但是在他最後一天,他說不了話

Through his eyes, we knew when he needed to hear again,

通過他的眼睛,我們知道當他想聽我們說話

"It is all set, Jim. We're going to take care of Shirley

“什麼都很好,Jim。我們會好好照顧 Shirley。

right here at the ranch,

就在此時,在牧場

and ACR's going to take care of your wildlife forever."

ACR會永遠幫你保護好這裏的野生動植物

From this experience I'm going to share five practices.

從這個經歷中,我想和大家分享五個方案

I've put worksheets online,

我已經把步驟公佈在了網上

so if you'd like, you can plan your own end.

所以如果你願意,你可以計劃你自己結束的方式

It starts with a plan.

這個步驟以着手計劃開始

Most people say, "I'd like to die at home."

很多人會說”我願意死在家裏."

Eighty percent of Americans die in a hospital

但是百分之八十的美國人,在醫院裏死去

or a nursing home.

或者是養老院

Saying we'd like to die at home is not a plan.

所以說想死在家裏,並不是一個計劃

A lot of people say, "If I get like that, just shoot me."

很多人又會說“如果我像那樣,一槍打死我”

This is not a plan either; this is illegal.

這也不是,因爲不合法。

熱門標籤